Skip to main content

Leaving room for unexpected surprises...like ice cream cones!

Yesterday, my son and I were driving when we saw a veteran hobbling down the street in a light rain. He suddenly stopped and, supporting himself on his cane with one hand, saluted an American flag with the other. For that moment he stood tall and straight and strong. And then just like that, the spell was broken and the boy who served and gave the most perfect salute I have ever seen returned to a gray-haired man who seemed to struggle to even put one foot in front of the other, walking so. slowly. down the street. I pulled over a block away in the first open spot I could find and said to my son, "I'm going to go ask if I can buy him a cup of coffee or a sandwich." The man smiled at me as I approached. Returning his smile I said, "Sir, may I please buy you a cup of coffee or some lunch?" He laughed a bit and said, "I really appreciate the offer, but I'm OK. I'm just out to stretch my legs and maybe I'll get an ice cream cone later on." (Remember, is was a damp, dreary day, lightly raining at this time.) "I saw you salute the flag back there and I have to say, (my voice starting to break) it really touched me," I said. "Thank you so much for your service." "Oh, you're welcome. I just did what needed to be done. But I lost a lot of friends through the years," he said, wiping a tear. "I'm sorry, for some reason I'm having a hard time with it all lately." We walked slowly on until we reached my car, chatting about his time in the Navy, our families, ice cream, and then I said, "This is me," pointing to my car. "Thanks again for the offer and love that boy hard," he said pointing to my son in the passenger seat. "Oh, there's no shortage of that," I said and we smiled at each other one last time. I've been thinking a lot about that hero and the short time we shared yesterday afternoon...about community, about living, about our nation. I challenge myself each day to be present and open. Some days are roaring successes and other days I fall short. But because of the effort, my life has been blessed with all sorts of unexpected surprises, with new relationships, unplanned experiences, random knowledge gained, collections of discovered oddities, and too many memories to count. To think, it could have all been missed if I started each day with my head down... I know I'm not the only one feeling tense these days. We live in a pretty divided nation, the news and social media are full of nothing but negativity (more than ever as we count down to election day), our calendars are full, we have sick loved ones, summer is gone, the days are shorter and colder... It's easy to let the negativity creep in...and it's easy to spread it when it does. But yesterday's experience served as a reminder for me to keep my head up and my face turned towards the sun (figuratively...it's been awfully dreary here lately). Because you know what? The world really is full of good. So much goodness! We only need look for it! What if we all took the time to live, to truly share our lives with our families, with our friends, with our community and beyond? What if, instead of signing our kids up for yet another activity, we spent time together really making memories? What if, instead of staring at our devices at night, we spent more time with our partners sharing the simple things that made us originally fall in love (back before said devices were invented)? What if, instead of posting that political thing online, we talked to people in line at the grocery store and actively worked on building and reinforcing our communities? Let's put down the newspapers, the phones, the calendars, and turn away from the negativity. Let's lean into the good in our lives. Let's take time for ourselves and share it with those we love. Let's leave space in our lives for unexpected surprises. Let's go for that walk in the rain to stretch our legs and maybe get an ice cream cone. xo, Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

The short and sweet version:   I am a 40-some year old communication consultant and homeschooling mother of three (one son, two daughters) who wakes up each morning and does her darndest to make the most of her days, filling it with shared laughter, good food, natural beauty, healthy habits, stylish clothes, and memorable experiences...while attempting to age gracefully and (hopefully) slowly. The "embrace my long-winded, Irish roots" version: I am pretty firmly settled into my 40s. And I've had a fun time getting here; I counted down to my 40th birthday with a random act of kindness each week for the 40 weeks leading up to the big four-oh. I documented the journey on the Kindness Countdown blog to entertain and hopefully inspire others to spread niceties in their own lives. This was especially important for my own family, my children being a formative 10, 8, and 5-years old during the project. It was exceedingly rewarding to bless others alongside

A lot can change in 5 minutes

Perspective, belief, reality...they can change pretty fast. Mine were flipped upside down within 5 minutes today. Here's how: I was at my friend's gym this morning getting my butt kicked, doing 24" box jumps when he walked over and asked "Should I add the 12" on top?" I laughed, because COME ON, I just landed my first 30" jump a few weeks ago. He smirked over his shoulder as he walked away, saying "OK, we'll do it after class." I laughed and continued to jump in my comfort zone. But then, later, as I was working a heavy bag, I thought, "Hmm, Jordan has been pushing me for years in the right direction and because of it I've completed things I originally didn't think possible (pull-ups, a Spartan race, lifting heavier, punching harder...). What if this is one of them?" And so, after class, I stacked the boxes and stepped beside them. A 63" girl next to a 36" box. It was intimidating. I looked at my friend

New Sneakers! New App!

I went on a run this morning, breaking in some new sneakers: a pair of Brooks Launch 5 .  Brooks has been my sneaker of choice for many years now, but this gray and white pair (Aren't they cute?! And they go with everything!) are my first from the Launch family. I'm happy to report it was love at first run!  I found them to be really light while providing excellent support and I greatly enjoyed the layers of cushiony softness (especially since I've had a tinge of shin splints the past couple of weeks)! I already can’t wait to take ‘em for another spin tomorrow! Oh, and if you’re a runner, biker, kayaker, etc, I have one other recommendation from today's run. I also tested out a new app, Relive , today. It was fantastic! I was able to fully control my Apple Music running play list while Relive ran in the background, which I appreciate (it bothers me each time I try to skip a song in Map My Run ).  Watch this video of my course today and you'll see why I c