Skip to main content

About Me

The short and sweet version:  


I am a 40-some year old communication consultant and homeschooling mother of three (one son, two daughters) who wakes up each morning and does her darndest to make the most of her days, filling it with shared laughter, good food, natural beauty, healthy habits, stylish clothes, and memorable experiences...while attempting to age gracefully and (hopefully) slowly.

The "embrace my long-winded, Irish roots" version:


I am pretty firmly settled into my 40s. And I've had a fun time getting here; I counted down to my 40th birthday with a random act of kindness each week for the 40 weeks leading up to the big four-oh. I documented the journey on the Kindness Countdown blog to entertain and hopefully inspire others to spread niceties in their own lives. This was especially important for my own family, my children being a formative 10, 8, and 5-years old during the project. It was exceedingly rewarding to bless others alongside my life's greatest treasures. 

Prior to Kindness Countdown, from 2008-2014, I wrote the Ugga Mugga blog. That parenting blog documented me in the thick of it as I began writing it when my oldest children were only one and three years old and my now youngest was a dream yet to come true. Why did I put myself through the torture of trying to write a post each day in such a hectic house? Well, because I needed a creative and professional outlet.  And also, since I was already fanatically researching everything (from fun and educational activities for families to sippy cups and nursing bras to the safest cribs and organic mattresses), I thought I'd share what I found.

You see, I love well-designed, natural, and attractive products and making memories through travel, local events, and charitable activities. I believe that everyone should live their best life surrounded by people, spaces, and designs that make them happy. I also enjoy helping people. Once I realized that my friends who knew of my research tendencies, appreciation of good style, and my inability to sit at home were turning to me for information on products and events they knew I had researched, I thought there might be other parents who would appreciate the information this self-proclaimed nerd had collected.

This brings us to today.

My home now has a teenager with braces residing in it. My youngest is almost 9. My middle child is 11 going on 21. And me? I'm still researching. Only now it's wrinkle-fighting serums, new activities to try (I will not be one of those middle-aged people who are out of touch!), exercises to maintain a healthy fitness level, the latest restaurants and hot spots to try with my husband and friends, vitamins and supplements for my "mature" body, and articles on keeping my mind fresh. And my friends who have lived life alongside me are still reaching out. Only now they're asking which eye cream I use, how I incorporate essential oils into my days, the best place to grab a cup of coffee in cities they're traveling to, where I purchase boots, bags and dresses, and if I have any tasty recipes for them to bring to a party (bonus if they're healthy-ish).

I do not have it all figured out. I am far from perfect. And I am not a professional anything. But I am trying my darndest each day to be my best self, to live my best life, as I sneak up on my golden years. And I am happy to share what I discover with you. This is Gilded Living

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lot can change in 5 minutes

Perspective, belief, reality...they can change pretty fast. Mine were flipped upside down within 5 minutes today. Here's how: I was at my friend's gym this morning getting my butt kicked, doing 24" box jumps when he walked over and asked "Should I add the 12" on top?" I laughed, because COME ON, I just landed my first 30" jump a few weeks ago. He smirked over his shoulder as he walked away, saying "OK, we'll do it after class." I laughed and continued to jump in my comfort zone. But then, later, as I was working a heavy bag, I thought, "Hmm, Jordan has been pushing me for years in the right direction and because of it I've completed things I originally didn't think possible (pull-ups, a Spartan race, lifting heavier, punching harder...). What if this is one of them?" And so, after class, I stacked the boxes and stepped beside them. A 63" girl next to a 36" box. It was intimidating. I looked at my friend

New Sneakers! New App!

I went on a run this morning, breaking in some new sneakers: a pair of Brooks Launch 5 .  Brooks has been my sneaker of choice for many years now, but this gray and white pair (Aren't they cute?! And they go with everything!) are my first from the Launch family. I'm happy to report it was love at first run!  I found them to be really light while providing excellent support and I greatly enjoyed the layers of cushiony softness (especially since I've had a tinge of shin splints the past couple of weeks)! I already can’t wait to take ‘em for another spin tomorrow! Oh, and if you’re a runner, biker, kayaker, etc, I have one other recommendation from today's run. I also tested out a new app, Relive , today. It was fantastic! I was able to fully control my Apple Music running play list while Relive ran in the background, which I appreciate (it bothers me each time I try to skip a song in Map My Run ).  Watch this video of my course today and you'll see why I c